My family always looks forward to the Fair every September mainly for the amazing fair food!
I visited the Arkansas/Oklahoma State Fair in Fort Smith Arkansas the other night and my goodness! There were food booths at every turn.
It was overwhelming and I did not know where to start. So I chose the soft serve ice cream cone stand. The ice cream was wonderful but I warn you, if you are lactose intolerant, do not eat one of these because it is "real ice cream".
Then I wandered around and looked at everything else and watched folks chowing down those large Foot-long Corndogs like I wrote about in my last Sam's Corner.
One of my favorite things to get is a Funnel Cake. I will admit that when I see or smell a Funnel Cake I am uncontrollably drawn to it. My favorite Funnel Cake is the simple version with powdered sugar sprinkled on it while others put all kinds of toppings on their Funnel cake. I have included a simple at home recipe for you to try to make your own version of the fair Funnel Cake. Good luck!
In the Next Sam's Corner... I will take you to the world of
Candy apples, rides, games and livestock.
Here is the recipe for homemade funnel cakes.
Makes 4 Funnel Cakes
1 Cup Flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1 egg , 1 Cup oil and 1 tablespoon of milk.
2 Tablespoons of Sugar Powdered Sugar or Whatever topping you like .
1. In a Large skillet add about 1 1/2 inches of oil and heat to around 350 degrees. Now in a medium bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
2. In another bowl combine your milk and eggs; make sure you mix the eggs in well. Next add your sugar to this mixture until it dissolves.
3. Add your wet mixture to the flour mixture and beat well with an electric mixer.
4. When your oil is ready (you can check by adding a small drop of the batter to see if it sizzles) grab a funnel and while holding your finger over the hole add the batter. I didn't have a funnel so I used a cake-decorating bag and filled it up with batter. Put your funnel over the oil and remove your finger and allow the batter to go into the oil. Pour your batter out in a circular motion to get that funnel cake look.
5. Cook the batter for about 1 minute and then flip it over with either tongs or a spatula. Cook the other side for about a minute as well. When it's done place it on a cooling rack or paper towel to drain the excess grease.
6. Now your ready for the fun part.........Toppings!
We just used Powdered sugar but you can use anything you like, ice cream, whipped cream, fruit,etc.
This is a super easy recipe and very delicious and fun to make. Why wait for the fair when you can make your own funnel cake at home for free!
Recipe from funsavingmoney.net